A lot of people confuse the term “SPLURGE .V.S. STEAL” like its a bad thing. When in all reality is an amazing thing and amazing term that everyone should keep in mind when they are out shopping.
When you hear the word “Splurge” a lot of you think about high end products or brand names with popularity and luxury items. Mean while, when a lot of you hear the word “Steal” some think of generic brands, low quality, and even consider the product cheap. Im here to open your eyes to this particular term which when a lot of you hear your opinions and choices you make bury you more in debt in your shopping spree.
The word “Steal” here represents good quality items, wether they are “generic” or not a high end or expensive, is still a brand. Some which are more affordable for consumers like you and I who may not be able to afford such ridiculous retail prices. Some of us wether your a fashion blogger, call yourself a “Fashionista”, or you simply know your bargain “steal” is what we call when you want to SAVE more than the Louis Vuitton or Chanel bag you just bought under “SPLURGE” for thousands of dollars. And NO i don’t mean steal like shoplifting! DUH!
Here are some tips and examples of how you can save a ridiculous amount of money during your shopping spree created by me:
1.) LEARN YOUR “SHOPPING SPREE” TERMS & READ SIGNS:
Yes! I have spoken please do learn your “Shopping Spree” terms there is nothing more embarassing than going shopping you misread the sign so READ before you ask anything. So if you see these terms in the signage this is what it means:
- BOGO : Buy One Get One meaning Free! always definitely worth the buy sometimes.
- $3…. (when you buy one regular price item) : Meaning you buy one of those items at regular price and the second item that you buy after that one will only cost you $3.00
See where this is confusing… not yet? Well let me tell you, you will see a lot of these in stores like RUE21 and Wet Seal! You have no idea the amount of consumers who I see running up to the tables all excited to purchase like six of the same item only to realize later on at the register that they had to purchase 3 of them at regular price and then the other three they would be under the promotion of $3 dollars. Then they get mad because that is not what they read then they show you the small font that says it, then they leave embarrassed or very few make the choice of purchasing it and never come back.
- BUY 1 GET 1 1/2 OFF! : Okay so seriously I shouldn’t even have to explain this! But having worked in retail for many years I still get asked the same stupid question over again. If the sign says Buy 1 Get 1 1/2 OFF! and the two items you picked where in that category and you ask me or Im telling you “Yes these are” and you ask me the same question again… what do you think they are?… 🙂
- CLEAREANCE / SALE: My two favorite words to hear and my two favorite sections I love to have my eye on every time without fail when I go shopping. In this department you will probably find the same amazing item you have been longing to buy for the longest or that you probably saw a couple weeks ago on the window display. From its original price it could have gone from 30% – 75% off the regular ticketed price. And I always find good sales!! I hunt for them. So when you go shopping for sales like these make sure your on your day off, comfy shoes, because your going to be shopping for hours. Its ridiculous the amount of money I have saved throughout the years with these two terms! NOW like every great thing there is always a downside which you will come to face sooner or later. When you shop under Cleareance or Sale don’t expect them to have your size all the time, or to be 100% perfect (sometimes they may have their little damages like missing a button or whatever) just make sure that you think if its worth paying for even if its discounted. Sometimes and this comes with experience throughout the years don’t buy the first thing you see even if its in cleareance. Sometimes other stores will have the same item for even less than the previous discounted price you saw so you save even more. 🙂 So make sure to ask about their return/exchange policies, keep your receipts!!, and about their HOLD policy.
- FINAL SALE: Its final, don’t come and try to exchange or return it its not happening. So make sure you check for stains, rips, zippers, sizing, prices, and etc before actually purchasing. Usually you don’t get your money back, and your stuck with a trainwreck of an item that you will probably never wear. And if that is the case then please do something good with it and donate it to someone who needs it or a local thriftstore or stores like GOODWILL, or SALVATION ARMY.
2.) EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS:
Yes you know those little questions at the register when they ask you about your email and so on. SAY YES! Why not? First of all its FREE to subscribe and you would be suprise at the amount of money you can save. If you are the type of person who don’t like giving out your information. I totally understand, for that reason just give them your email and if you don’t feel comfortable using your personal email because of spam or junk mail or you simply want to read important emails, then here is a little bright idea: CREATE A NEW EMAIL ACCOUNT and just use that for subscriptions for when you go out shopping.
These emails are great a lot of companies will use this method to promote their sales, special events,
3. COUPONS!!: Okay so after you have subscribed you should start receiving a lot of those loving coupons. Most you will use others you will trash. Just make sure that you READ once again all the tiny little letters and the coupon as a whole. See what the requirements in order to use that coupon are. See if its something that will benefit you, and if it does make sure you use it! Meaning make sure you keep in mind and read when does it expire? There is no point of spending two hours shopping and then later you realized it was expired that would be a total and EPIC FAIL! Most of these coupons are life savers you can save $10- 20 dollars off, or you could get FREE promotional items!
Make sure you keep the coupons you plan on using with you 24/7 you never know if you will end up going to that store by accident and the worst thing is you left your coupons at home. YIKES yet another epic fail! But just because you have a coupon doesn’t mean you have to use it, thats is just optional. I have let some coupons go to waste on purpose or have given it to friends or family members who I know will benefit them if I know Im not going to.
I have gotten great brand name and expensive body lotions, shower gels, antibacterials, underwear, or bras for FREE!! no strings attached! 🙂 how amazing is that! and all because i subscribed and kept my coupons in handy within the time frame given to use it.
4.) ALWAYS ASK, BEFORE YOU BUY: My number one rule when shopping!
Don’t be afraid to ask about the store’s Return or Exchange Policies because the worst thing to do is to buy something you can’t return or exchange. Also please make sure that you ask yourself for the seventh hundred times if the item or product your purchasing to you its worth the buy. Are you a rebuyer meaning do you buy the same product more than once just because, or do you really need it ? Does the price meet or pleases your budget (if you have any).
Most companies or stores will require you to have:
- Your original receipts, and tags attached as proof of purchase
- 30/90 Day policy to bring the item back for a full refund or exchange.
- The same method of payments again for your protection as another proof of purchase and makes the process easier
So now that I have properly introduced to some great saving tips here are some example of the “SPLURGE .V.S. STEAL” items I was pointing to you out earlier!