As most of you have already seen the American Music Awards 2013 took place in Los Angeles, California two days ago on November 24, 2013. Unlike any other awards show I was very pleasantly surprised as they had a lot of great live performances and amazing list of winners. I dedicated my night to watch everything from the exclusive red carpet entrance and interviews to the beginning and finale of the show. My personal highlights from the AMA’s 2013 this year for performances were many. But I will tell you all how I felt about each of them individually as I list them down for you on here.
- Katy Perry – Katy Perry sung one of her new single “Unconditionally” from her new album “Prism”. Her performance made one of my top pick because of the its musicality, costume, and choreography as it was the main opening act for the AMA’s. Also because it has become one of the most controversial performances around the world right now due to the fact that some viewers called it “disrespectful”, and “racist”.
Why? Because of the fact that she was inspired by Japanese culture dressed as a geisha in a kimono. Most viewers who follow this culture said that Katy Perry,was over sexualizing on stage what is supposed to be a traditional Japanese female figure. One who is paid to serve as entertainment in the world of arts.
In my personal opinion I thought she looked wonderful and she meant no disrespect. But instead she wanted to honor and pay tribute to the beautiful culture, and people that is Japan. Which is one full of exquisite taste and happiness they bring to the world through their culture, fashion, music, and colors. Her performance was impeccable even her microphone was designed to be part of the theme with cherry blossom flowers on it.
- One Direction – The very talented British/Irish boy band sensation took to the stage singing their new single “Story Of My Life” from their new released album “Midnight Memories”. Their performance paid tribute to their music video with photographs of them and their families and dim string lights that lit up the stage. Their performance was beautiful because it brought the emotional, sentimental, and appreciation of their voices. They even got a standing ovation from the crowd after the song ended.
Ariana Grande – She did not fail us at all. Her voice filled up the room with so much control of her vocals. She is definitely one of my favorite new breakout artists out there. There is no doubt that she is super talented and that she will be one to make history as her career grows even further. Her voice is so mature, and beautifully trained as she sung an intro of her song “The Way” and into a retro vibe in“Tattooed Heart”. Both of her songs are included in her new album “Yours Truly”.
- Imagine Dragons– They completely blew me off my seat as they took charge of a medley of “Demons” and “Radioactive”. Their performance was full of fueled high energy from each of the band members. They all took charge of taking turns playing different drums, and other musical instruments while they sung. They also made sure to leave their heart out on that stage while performing making a huge difference between and award show and concert performance. This was a mix of both which means it was perfect. Literally if you were not a fan of Imagine Dragons before that performance definitely had to change your mind. 😉
- Jennifer Lopez – I think she personally smashed it, it was amazing. Her performance was overall sung in Spanish due to the fact that she was paying tribute to no other than Celia Cruz. Celia Cruz used to be a very famous and influential Cuban singer who led a legendary trajectory in the music industry. As we all know before Ms. Lopez was a singer or actress or the amazing entrepreneur woman she is she was a dancer. Her talented dancing skills were the beginning of her career. Therefore, it was no surprise to see how she took ownership of that stage; dancing salsa while she sung and three different instant outfit changes.
- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – The duo was not able to make it to the actual AMA’s due to the fact they were playing a concert in no other than Miami, Florida. But they did take time to receive one of their very well deserved awards for Favorite Artist in RAP/HIP-HOP category. In which Macklemore made a really amazing and powerful statement about racism, justice, and about the effects on future generations.They also did a live, live stream performance of “Can’t Hold Us” from their album “The Heist”.
- Lady Gaga ft. R.Kelly– Lady Gaga and R.Kelly took the stage a very theatrical and almost a ballad version by the end of the song of “Do What U Want”. The storyline was a presidential love affair between Gaga and Kelly, with Gaga being heartbroken and criticized at the end all alone crying over him because he used and left her. I thought it was very neat, very throughout, and like always very impressed. There is no need to question her vocal talent, acting, or dancing skills when you have that type of love and passion for music.
I couldn’t find the word worst for worst performances to be used this year’s AMA’s because they were all great or decent. The only thing I would call it would be weak performances because they are great artist with some wrong choices with their performance choices:
- Justin Timberlake – Its not his usual performance that is upbeat and song that everyone can sing along with him it was more laid back and boring to me.
- Miley Cyrus – Her voice flawless, her fashion eh? not so much with cats all over but the worst part was the huge cat in the back which took over her performance rather than my attention her performance with the song. It really made no sense at all. I felt high in a musical rave to be honest.
Here are my highlights of both the best and worst looks in fashion and styling choices that our celebs opted to wear for the AMA’S 2013 red carpet.
The best dressed ladies:
- Ariana Grande in her strapless sequined “Jessica Rabitt” dress.
- Christina Aguilera in a white and sexy cut out hugging figure in the silky gown.
- Lady Gaga in a light purple Versace dress.
- Naya Rivera definitely made a fashion statement with keyhole opening in the front black dress with gold bracelets.
The worst dressed ladies:
- Katy Perry in a black floral strapless ethereal gown by Oscar de La Renta.
- Rihanna you are in my worst dressed too because of your Dubi hair like ummm no fashion fail sweetheart you are an A list celebrity no rhinestone bobby pins can hide that mess.
- Taylor Swift in super short short glittering metallic dress that looked more like she came from another era from Julien Macdonald.
- Kylie Jenner was dressed way too casual for the AMA’s.
- Kelly Ousbourne this breaks my heart cause I truly love her but I don’t know why she wore this ugly silver floral and tulle dress that made her look bigger.
- Jennifer Hudson’s orange and pink dress would have been best dressed on my list if she would have either gone all short or all long. But this Asymmetrical opening in the front looks like she got caught on something and broke it.
- Aubrey O’Day I think was confused when she got dressed because it was definitely not appropriate for the AMA’s at all.
- Fifth Harmony – The first two girls Normandi and Lauren look great (on the left) from Dinah and on to the right its a mess.
- One Direction – Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson. BOTH of their outfit changes were equally as sexy and beautiful.
- Justin Timberlake- in a Tom Ford tux, and Louboutin shoes with a cute black bow.
- Fall Out Boy– they looks so good together.
- Akon – Why the need of so much casual leather.
- 2 Chainz- Like really man? What is with the whole look from head to toe. Fashion Fail.
- Marc Anthony – plaid and jeans too casual and horribly put for someone who is nominated to win..(which by the way won so congrats.)
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE COMPLETE LIST OF WINNER SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT 🙂
With that being said this is all of my recap from the AMA’s 2013 Music & Fashion Best and Worst. Hope you enjoyed this post! If you love my articles and enjoy my music and fashion blogging everything pop culture – Evetzie xxThen make sure to follow me on:
Like me on FB: Evetzie’s Repertoire: Fashion Beauty Style!
***ALL IMAGES CREDITED TO THEIR OWNERS NO COPYRIGHT INGFRINGEMENT INTENDED****
Here is a list of the all the winners and in their categories:
- ARTIST OF THE YEAR
- ICON AWARD
- NEW ARTIST OF THE YEAR PRESENTED BY KOHL’S
- SINGLE OF THE YEAR
Florida Georgia Line Featuring Nelly, “Cruise”
- FAVORITE MALE ARTIST – POP/ROCK
- FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST – POP/ROCK
- FAVORITE BAND, DUO OR GROUP – POP/ROCK
- FAVORITE ALBUM – POP/ROCK
One Direction, “Take Me Home”
- FAVORITE MALE ARTIST – COUNTRY
- FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST – COUNTRY
- FAVORITE BAND, DUO or GROUP – COUNTRY
- FAVORITE ALBUM – COUNTRY
Taylor Swift, “Red”
- FAVORITE ARTIST – RAP/HIP-HOP
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- FAVORITE ALBUM – RAP/HIP-HOP
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, “The Heist”
- FAVORITE MALE ARTIST – SOUL/R&B
- FAVORITE FEMALE ARTIST – SOUL/R&B
- FAVORITE ALBUM – SOUL/R&B
Justin Timberlake, “The 20/20 Experience”
- FAVORITE ARTIST – ALTERNATIVE ROCK
- FAVORITE ARTIST – LATIN
- FAVORITE ARTIST – ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC (EDM)
- FAVORITE ARTIST – ADULT CONTEMPORARY
- FAVORITE ARTIST – CONTEMPORARY INSPIRATIONAL
- TOP SOUNDTRACK